Monday, August 11, 2014

Gratitude Monday - Blueberries

Blueberries.

I am grateful for blueberries.
They are tasty and healthy and make a great snack. A great and very hard to stop eating snack.

We bought some yesterday that were grown in B.C. They are big and juicy and taste close enough to blueberries to satisfy.

What do I mean?

I grew up on a farm carved out of the bush. If I wanted blueberries I went to the back yard.
I also could find strawberries and raspberries and saskatoons in their turn.
In short, I know what berries taste like and the commercial ones are sad imitations most of the time. But these BC blueberries are plump and delicious and for it I am grateful.



8 comments:

crabby said...

Blueberries are indeed something to be grateful for! But I agree, fresh-picked are definitely best.

Leah J. Utas said...

I miss the real berries of the wild, Crabby, but these will do.

messymimi said...

We have blackberries growing nearby, and the kids go pick them. There is nothing quite like the wild ones, or the ones at the u-pick farms.

Leah J. Utas said...

It's good to have the wild so close, Messymimi.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I am so grateful that I was able to spend the weekend with some amazing families.

solarity said...

The bear must be looking for blueberries, too.
Blueberries I've eaten never compare to what are called huckleberries in the deep South. Tiny, at least two dozen in a tablespoon, so sweet and so flavorful. Huckleberry pie!!! They don't seem to grow as far north as Kentucky, but my uncle in south Alabama used to find some now and then when we visited my grandmother. I'm pretty sure nobody has ever tried to grow them commercially because they're so small the labor of picking would be uneconomic.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Hilary said...

Yum.. I love most berries. And so true that fresh/local is far better. Enjoy!

Leah J. Utas said...

Kimberley, truly something for which to be grateful.

Mary Anne, they sound very tasty. We have something here we call huckleberries. Not sure if they're the same.

Hilary, I enjoy them so much it's hard to stop.