Monday, February 17, 2014

Gratitude Monday -- Mint Condition

Essential oils are wonderful and useful as all get out. I'm pleased with a number of them, but this week my focus is on mint.
It worked wonders on me.
The nerve cut during my hernia operation in June started waking up right on schedule in mid-December.
I'm grateful for this, don't get me wrong, but it hurt. While not debilitating there were days when I wondered if the amount of pain was normal and should I see a doctor about it?
Meanwhile, I'd been using peppermint oil (Mentha piperita) ) on occasion for digestive issues and it's always good for breathing. I'd gone to a local store to get some and there learned mint was good for pain relief, notably arthritis,  as well.
This was news to me so I checked it out on myself.
One day while I was contemplating going to a doctor about the nerve pain I wondered if it would help.
It did, and then some.
I played with a few other oils like wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) which did well as well, and Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis) which in my case was useless.
But it all came back to mint.
I used it for about a month although I did switch it with wintergreen on occasion as I have read that mint is not great for one's heart if one uses it too long.
Then one day the pain was barely noticeable. I have the occasional twinge as the area isn't done healing, but I don't need anything on it anymore, and for that I am grateful.

*This is anecdotal to me. It is not intended as medical advice and neither should it be construed as such.

16 comments:

Tabor said...

Certainly better than those powerful painkillers.

Leah J. Utas said...

Aye, they sure are, Tabor.

Virginia Lee said...

Ooh, I didn't know it was good for arthritis. I may have to get some and give it a go the next time I feel like I have a knife stabbing through my left ankle due to changing weather.

Dawn said...

Yep I'm another with arthritis in one knee. Good to know about this option. And pleased it worked so well for you Leah

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks Dawn and VL. It's worth a try. If you do this, make sure the oil is just the essential oil and not already diluted with a carrier oil. Olive oil makes a good carrier oil if you find you need one.

Unknown said...

Hi Leah :) I used weleda rose oil and another Rose homeopathic cream made by Uriel-Aurum Lavender rose Cream,Rose essence is supposed to be the highest vibration of the oils.helps heart on all levels as well as many other disturbances in the body.I found them to be very uplifting and a healing and opening of the heart <3 Healings and blessings to you ...I love gratitude Monday

Leah J. Utas said...

Susan, thanks for the info, and thanks for stopping by.

messymimi said...

As with pharmaceuticals, not everything works for everyone, and i'm glad this worked for you. It's one i'll try to see if i can add it to my arsenal.

Leah J. Utas said...

So, true. It's worth a try, Messymimi.

the Bag Lady said...

Wonder if it would help my computer.... Sigh.
I shall look for some to try on my wee aches and pains! Thanks for the information, cousin.

Leah J. Utas said...

Anytime, BL. I hope you find some relief.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wait, it's thursday, how am I just now getting around to gratitude MONDAY?

Sigh. I think I need some essential oil for my brain. I'd like it to function better AND smell minty fresh.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, I'd love some brain oil, too, Crabby.

Hilary said...

I'm so glad this worked for you. My wrist gives me issues ever since an icy tumble down the driveway about 2 months back. Maybe I'll give it a try. Just rub some in?

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, try a very little bit first in case you are sensitive to it.
If not, go ahead and rub in a drop on the affected area.
If you are, mix a few drops in some oil such as olive, coconut, almond, or peanut and then rub it in.

Hilary said...

Thanks very much, Leah. I'm remembering a pharmacy-sold product sold in a tall, slender vial which had peppermint oil among other natural extracts in it. It was useless for the frozen shoulder which I'd had hopes for but it worked well on sore muscles. I'll look for a peppermint oil and give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. :)