Monday, August 13, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Water Water Everywhere



Would you drink this water?

We had a glorious time camping on the long weekend.
We learned a great deal about out RPOD including how long a full tank of fresh water lasts.
By Sunday we were down to one-third of a tank. I believe it holds 35 litres (9.24 gal. US or 7.69 CAN) and we had an extra 20 litre jug of filtered drinking water with us so we weren't in any danger, but still, one needs tap water.
The North Saskatchewan River/Abraham Lake was  a few feet away. It's the river that supplies the drinking water for Rocky Mountain House and that means the only difference between the sparkling waters before us and what we had in the tank was a whole whack of chemicals that rendered it fit for human consumption.
We had a two gallon bucket for collecting the water. We needed a funnel to get in into the tank.
A Coke bottle* and a sharp knife solved that problem and we filled it to two-thirds. We needed a bucket or two extra the next day, but that was fine. We were low enough on drinking water that we boiled some of it to mix our instant porridge and Mike had some to drink.
We were fine. We drank the Coke to make sure. That's why we had it.
I am grateful for the camping adventure, grateful that fresh water is plentiful in this country, and especially grateful that when presented with a problem we found a quick viable solution.

*Let the record show the Coke bottle as funnel was my idea. Coca-Cola Ltd. has not told me to talk up its product nor its usefulness, nor am I being compensated in any way for my above claims. If the Co. would like to compensate me, then I am woman enough to accept. 

9 comments:

Miz said...

thank you for framing my Monday morning.

Leah J. Utas said...

You are welcome, Miz.

messymimi said...

It's one reason i don't buy bottled water -- we have the safest and cleanest water supply in the world, and i am very grateful.

You are one smart cookie, too.

the Bag Lady said...

Very resourceful of the two of you. I probably would have done the same... except for the oatmeal part. (not a fan of oatmeal!)

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, thanks. Our drinking water is enviable, too. I drink it filtered from the tap at home, and straight from the tap if in a restaurant.

Bag Lady, thank you. I know you'd think to do the same thing. As for oatmeal to each her own, but it is great for balancing blood sugar.

Reb said...

Great photo Leah. I am glad you were able to fill your tank and that ingenuity is something you are familiar with. Another use for your 'funnel' is getting round-up on thistles without spraying any nearby plants :) I discovered this years ago, when the root I was digging was longer than my 12" fork thingy - the rest got sprayed.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. Excellent tip.

Hilary said...

Clever you. All that water and oatmeal to boot!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary.