Sunday, February 12, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Catatonic

Good together
I despise taking malaria medication. I've taken it for two trips. All I'll say about the first time was the second time was better. When the third opportunity to take it came along for our trip to Guatemala I had to do something.
I'd joked for years that I'd drink gin and tonic every day instead. Tonic Water (R. TM Whathaveyou)contains quinine. This bitter substance is, or at least was, used in anti-malarials. I've tried Tonic Water on its own and I simply cannot recommend it.
I drink Coke (R. TM. Whathaveyou.) when I travel to ward off the assorted digestive upsets and it works very well.
In a fit of logic I decided to put them together and christened the concoction "Catatonic."
The tastes work well together. I had Coke
(R.TM. Whathave you) every day and Catatonics many times. I even had Tonic Water (R.TM. Whathave you) by itself a few times.  It was okay, but Catatonics are so much better.
Husband is a recent convert to Coca-Cola (R. TM. Whathaveyou) and was an enthusiastic partaker of the new drink.
It kept all manner of things at bay for us and for that I am grateful.
#
Neither soft drink company has compensated me in any way for the above. If they want to, then I will be gracious enough and shameless enough to accept.

16 comments:

Red said...

I notice you're using a glass with your new drink. Even washing dishes with local water can be an issue. Glad you had a successful time when it came to no ailments.

messymimi said...

It is said the English added gin to make the tonic tolerable when taking it as an antimalarial.

Well, i must say i like your way better.

Leah J. Utas said...

Red, so true. In one of the hotels the wrapped glasses had water droplets so we didn't use them.

Messymimi, I didn't know that was the history of gin and tonic. Thanks. Even if there's no danger of malaria, it does make a pleasant enough drink.

Laurita said...

Catatonic. That's clever, I like it. :)

MizFit said...

I was sicksicksick for a long while when we were in Guat.
Then I finally realized it was the veggies Id been washing in the water!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Laurita.

MizFit, being careful with the water takes some getting used to.

the Bag Lady said...

Love the idea of a Catatonic, but in order for it to actually live up to its name, shouldn't it have a lot of alcohol in it?? :)

I drink gin and tonic in the summer as a preventative measure against malaria.
Yes, I live in northern Canada.
Malaria is not exactly rampant here, but if it comes, I'll be ready. Girl Scout, me.

Leah J. Utas said...

Weather patterns are changing, Bag Lady, I'm sure of it. Best to be prepared. I admire your commitment to continued health.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too funny. And what an awesome anti-malarial idea! (And Girl Scout Bag Lady totally cracked me up with her comment as well).

Hmm, I've been having leg cramps lately, and I believe quinine is supposed to help. Perhaps an evening catatonic (complete with gin) might be just what the doctor ordered!

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, I am sure an evening Gin'n'Catatonic is exactly what you need.
I didn't know quinine was good for leg cramps. I must see for myself.

David Cranmer said...

I traveled to Cameroon in 2004 and dreaded taking malaria medication. Then I saw the results of folks who didn't bother. Whew! Ginger Ale is a fave around here and when traveling.

Bossy Betty said...

Stopping by to wish you a happy day, Leah!

Reb said...

I don't really like a gin & tonic...if I ever get the chance to travel though I will try a gin & catatonic :)

Leah J. Utas said...

David, I wouldn't want to take the chance of malaria.I think I've found a happy middle ground.

Thanks, Betty.

Reb, I hope you get the chance.

Rikk Utas said...

A friend of mine who goes to Honduras regularly swears that all manner of nasties can be kept at bay by eating a fresh papaya every morning. I know they help regularise the occasional bout of Tourist Trots, but I am not sure it would help with malaria. Lovely photos you take, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and travels.

Leah J. Utas said...

Rikk, is it the digestive enzyme (papain)in it that does it? As long as it works for him.
I can't see it doing a thing for malaria, but I do not know everything.

Thanks re: the pics 'n' all.