Thursday, July 12, 2007

Salvage and Resurrection

My current writing experiment has been working well. Almost too well though I must note that I am in no way complaining. I’m happy.

I’ve faithfully devoted one solid hour every day to writing. I’ve managed to keep away from checking the email, bopping around the Internet, and playing solitaire. However, I’ve caught myself looking out the window once or twice.
If I do have to leave my desk for a moment I add that time on at the end.

Between the new material and salvage work I’ve cobbled together somewhere near 35,000 words. How much of that will stay is anyone’s guess. Rewriting, extensive and bloody, is in order.

I’m not even sure if any of what I’ve brought back to life deserves to be included. It was added in a cut-and- paste feeding frenzy over a few days. All very logical at the time. Retrospect may fail to show said logic.

The ms currently seems to have two or three ideas running it instead of one good, solid main focus. And after all that text-moving frenzy I’m not sure just exactly what I’ve got and where I put it.

I’ll have to go through the ms and reverse-engineer an outline. That should keep me busy for a while.

3 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

So you've been sticking to it all this time? That's great. Sounds like you've been quite productive in that hour. (And looking out the window is part of the writing process isn't it? I hope so, anyway.)

Dawn said...

"Rewriting, extensive and bloody..."

I can so identify with that, Leah!

Travis Erwin said...

I wish I can stick to a strict guideline like an hour a day. More power to you for doing it.