Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Tagged! My Ten Things For Success

Isabella Mori at moritherapy at
http://www.moritherapy.org/article/success-in-a-basket/
tagged me recently.
It’s the Simply Successful Secrets experiment started at
http://todayisthatday.com/blog/simply-successful-secrets/
The idea is to list the top five to ten things you do every day to help you be successful.

So what do I do to be successful? I take this to mean what do I do to ensure I have a good day.
I posted something similar recently. That meant I’d have to think a bit further instead of simple recap.

If I’m happy, then I’m successful. As long as I’m engaged in the world, intellectually stimulated, and invested in my environment, then I’m happy and therefore a success.

Enough blathering. Let’s get to it.

#1. Get up early. Morning is my best time. Mid-evening is a close second, but the early hours are still and quiet and good for thinking.

#2. Read the daily newspaper. I like to know what’s going on in the world without having to sit through stories of dogs rescued from thin ice and intrusive questions posed to grieving families. I was a journalist for 19 years. I know it’s part of the job. But tell me about the tax increase before the first commercial break please.

#3. Exercise, especially yoga. Toning the body tones the mind, too. Exercise leads to greater physical awareness and that makes relaxing into a hypnosis or meditation session that much better.

#4. Bacon. I need a hot breakfast. I’ve taken to eating beef or bison bacon because it’s easier on me than pork, but I’ve noticed that skipping meat with the morning meal makes me feel like out of sorts for the day.

#5. Express gratitude. I thank the Universe/God/All That Is everyday for all I have received. I do it outside, first thing, as my coffee brews.

#6. Quiet. I need some time each day even if I just sit in the sunlight at my kitchen table alone with my thoughts. It’s my time.

#7.Self-hypnosis or meditation, usually followed by a nap. It’s relaxing, quiet, and it’s spiritual exploration. I’ve followed scripts where I saw my own birth, regressed myself to a past life, and even used a progression scripts to visit the future. I’ve given myself suggestions about cleaning the house and the next thing I knew I was down on my hands and knees with a toothpick cleaning under the baseboards.

#8. Go outside. I usually do this first thing in the morning, but if I don’t, I make a point of stepping out to get some fresh air into my lungs. It clears my head and wakes me up. A look at the moon and stars restores my emotional balance.

#9. I visit my favorite blogs and websites. I’m entertained and I learn things.

#10. Laugh. Or at least smile about something. I have to see the good and the funny in the world or I’ll become miserable, stingy, and negative. I will have joy in my life. It’s easy to be negative. Joy can take a bit of work some days, but it’s well worth it.

I tag

http://saipanwriter.blogspot.com
http://steadydrip.blogspot.com
http://irishscribbler.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for playing tag with me, and thanks for a great post!

i've been thinking how gratitude and laughter are an important part of my day, too but i didn't include it in my post. why? because i don't have to remind myself to do those things.

i wonder, were there any "automatic" things that you didn't include? or am i the only one who skipped that part?

Aaron said...

Leah,

I just got your email, and thanks for sending it! The trackbacks don't always work between blogger.com and wordpress, so your email made me realize that I needed to come look at your post - thanks!

As far as your list, it is chock FULL of great ideas, and thanks for sharing it.

One thing that I wanted specifically to comment on was what you said about actually going outside to express your gratitude - what a great idea!

I have been expressing gratitude before I get out of bed for a long time, but even though I am an outdoorsy kind of person, I never thought to actually step outside and give thanks.

What a wonderful idea. Thank you so much for sharing it, as well as your other success secrets. Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Lots of wisdom in your post -- thank you for sharing your ideas. I especially loved your #5. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

You're welcome, everybody. I enjoyed writing this post.

It never struck me that going outside to express gratitude would be unusual. It just seems like the right thing to do.

Thomma, thanks for telling me the post contained wisdom.

Talia said...

Oops someone kick me. I just remembered I got tagged for this meme too LOL (but ahem I haven't posted my contribution yet).

I was intrigued by the bison and beef bacon. We don't have that here, but we do have chicken bacon which is pretty scrummy.