Sunday, January 28, 2007

Roasted Cauliflower

I found a recipe at the Gluten-Free By The Bay blog for Oven Roasted Broccoli With Lemon, Chili-Garlic Oil and Parmesan. It sounded so good I vowed I’d try it.
We had broccoli in the house and I needed something different to do with it. Plain steamed broc is healthy and easy, but it rarely excites the taste buds.

I have issues with recipes. I resent having inanimate objects tell me what to do. We had cauliflower in the house, too, so I decided to use it instead.
With the broc recipe as my guide, I mixed cold pressed extra-virgin olive with lemon juice until it looked like melted butter. I poured it over the chopped cauliflower and tossed it until it was well coated.
Then I sprinkled on a bit of nutmeg and some cayenne pepper, and put it in the oven at 350F. I had some leftover lasagne-esque pasta that I was heating so I put the veggie in with it. One less dish for my husband to wash, and it gave the flavors a chance to commingle.

A half-hour may seem like a long time, but it was just right. The cauliflower browned in places and even though it was cooked it was crunchy.

Gluten-Free By the Bay has some wonderful recipes. Check it out at http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous idea - a very superior version of cauliflower and cheese.

Peggy K said...

Ooh, that sounds tasty. I'll have to make a note for the next time I have some cauliflower.

Margie said...

I love broccoli plain and raw mixed in a green salad. The other day I had: romaine, broccoli, carrot, cucumber, yellow onion with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing w/ gorgonzola cheese. Mmmmmm...

P.S. I usually look to cookbooks and recipes online for ideas of different combos that taste good together, but all the ingredients add up and can be too costly. So I improvise :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks for the kind words about my cauliflower.
Isabel, that salad sounds crunchy and good. I don't think I would have thought of that combo on my own.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that sounds delicious! My hubby's not a huge fan of cauliflower, aside from using them mashed for South Beach mashed potatoes. I think he'd like this, though!

Julia
www.temlynwriting.com/blog