Monday, November 10, 2014

Gratitude Monday - Pizza Edition

I like pizza.
I am not alone.
I am gluten intolerant.
I'm not alone in that either.
It's not a difficult thing to manage as gluten free pizza crusts are reasonably easy to make and fairly tasty.
But sometimes they just don't do the trick.
I am grateful that I can handle a bit of gluten now and again.
To that end I raided our spelt flour stores the other day and made pizza dough.
It had to be sifted as it has more than its fair share of bran in it. It'll work that way, but I was in the mood for a soft, easy to manage dough.
While it was based on a recipe I made my own variations including playing fast and loose with the measurements of flour and olive oil.
I like what I did:
I really missed fluffy dough.
It was topped with emmentaler, a three year old cheddar ostensibly made from unpasteurized milk, and goat mozzarella, along with a pepperoni that had cheddar in it, elk smokies, mushroom, onion, green pepper, and tomato sauce.
Also, I threw chipotle pepper flakes in the dough.


It worked out and it was reasonably tasty.
For that I am grateful.



10 comments:

solarity said...

I am grateful I'm reading this while eating breakfast….
(There's a reason I usually read your posts at meals.)

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Tabor said...

Sounds much more than tasty! Sounds hefty and exotic.

DJan said...

I prefer not to eat wheat, but I can tolerate it. This sounds really good, except for the elk (I'm vegetarian and don't eat meat hardly ever, and when I do it's turkey). I also love pizza but don't eat it often. :-)

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm not writing about food.

Tabor, it surely was filling. We don't normally have leftovers, but this served for two meals.

DJan, spelt, though a form of wheat, is easier for me to tolerate. I am sure a veggie version of this would be great.

messymimi said...

Now i'm hungry! Your wonderful cooking always makes me wish i could come learn your recipes.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, I wing most of mine, but I'd love to have you here. Playing with food is more fun with others.

crabby said...

I would agree with Messymimi, but I'm afraid your wonderful cooking does not "make me wish I could learn your recipes." It makes me wish you'd move down from Canada and cook for me. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Crabby. be careful what you wish for.

Sagan said...

Mmmm! Spelt flour is awesome. And pizza. Obviously. :)

Hilary said...

I suspect your kitchen often smells quite wonderful.