Monday, August 25, 2014

Gratitude Monday -- Lentilfest

It's been a veritable lentilfest around here since my operation.
My body tells me it needs lighter fare than meat.  Fish and chicken have their places, no question, but lately it's been lentils.
They make a great meat substitute and for that I am grateful.
I've made burgers with them and a pan loaf thingy that defies description for several reasons ( it was tasty, thought, give it that) and last night we had lentil balls.
They're like meatballs. To the cooked lentils I added the pulp from the morning smoothie: carrot, watermelon, cherry, garlic, lettuce, and sauerkraut.
I also added slow fried onions and mushrooms as they are the key to making lentils taste similar to red meat.
Chop onion, slice mushrooms, and let them fry slow and low for at least a half-hour, covered.
By low I mean once they start cooking turn the heat down to barely noticeable. I tossed in some fresh garlic toward the end.
I found a recipe for a tahini sauce made with garlic, lemon. cumin, and cilantro which I have mostly followed. It sets off the lentils beautifully.
I am grateful I have lentils, that I know what to do with them, and that they serve my current need to eat lighter than usual.
I am further grateful my husband loves lentils and would eat them every day if he could.

8 comments:

solarity said...

I never do anything fancy with lentils; I just cook them and eat them, preferably with rice. This is making me want pea soup, but it has been, and will continue to be, too hot for simmering a stock pot for two or three hours.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

I take it as a compliment that my post made you want pea soup. Sorry it's not the weather for it.

messymimi said...

Love lentils, but Sweetie loathes them. We do have the tradition of beans over rice, though, and have lots of that here.

Leah J. Utas said...

We do beans here, too, Messymimi. Husband is a big fan.

Tabor said...

Sounds both healthy and tasty to me. Glad you have a good appetite as healing is on the way.

Leah J. Utas said...

It was, and thank you, Tabor.

Anonymous said...

I would often make a lentil soup before low carb entered my life. I was also a big fan of chickpeas and would make the most delicious patties with them.

Leah J. Utas said...

I've never tried chickpea patties, Kimberley. They usually get whorled into dip. I think I'll go research recipes.