Monday, March 11, 2013

Gratitude Monday --The Power of Off

I spent a few unscheduled quiet moments on Saturday and I am very happy about it.
The power went off in mid-afternoon just as I was about to stir the final two ingredients into a cake batter. Rather than cuss and swear and curse about the infernality of it all, I added the flour, set aside the milk, and popped the batter in the fridge.
The magic juice we depend on would return in its own time and no amount of prayer, begging, or voodoo would change it.
It was a sunny day. Spring was in the air if not on the calendar.
I opened the front door to the afternoon sun, raised the window on the screen door to let in the fresh air, stretched my middle-aged self upon a leather loveseat and listened to the melt.
It was soothing and invigorating at the same time. The break from all human-engineered house noises was welcome. Humming of appliances was replaced by the happy tinkling of water flowing from downspouts.
It was a glorious chance to break away from the common activities of my usual life, and for it I am grateful.

9 comments:

messymimi said...

That is making the most of what is, and a reminder that we don't have to spend money on vacations to get away from it all. We can just turn things off and sit in the silence where we are.

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, Messymimi. I enjoyed the moment as presented.

Red said...

And your cake got baked after all!

Leah J. Utas said...

It all worked out, Red. Can't ask for more than that.

Hilary said...

You find gratitude at the best times.. always. And in the best places.. your own heart. I so respect that in you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.
I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back
sometime soon. I want to encourage you to definitely continue
your great work, have a nice day!

Here is my page: online graduate certificate
my page > online graduate certificate

the Bag Lady said...

It is amazing how quiet the house is when the electricity is off. Good time to enjoy some solitude.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Love this!

What a great reminder to grab whatever joy is available in the moment, even if the moments play out differently than we planned.

Sounds so peaceful yet it would have been so easy to get distracted by frustration!

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, thank you so much. It's all in the way I choose to look at things.

Bag Lady, it's the best.

Crabby, frustration is easy and oh so tempting. Looking past it is what brings the best of the moment.