Friday, June 1, 2012

Photo-Finish Friday --Meanwhile, Back at the Pyramids


Egypt's Pyramids are a busy place. Tourists everywhere. Police officers watching from camelback  such as the gentleman in the foreground, and locals looking to make some quick cash off the guests.
One of the top scams going is to tell tourists they can sit on a camel for free.
Camel kneels.
Tourist gets on.
Camel stands up.
You want down?
Pay.
We were warned about this so we were okay, but I suspect these men and their fair steeds make enough in a day to get by.
That aside, it is all part of the atmosphere.


12 comments:

Laurita said...

You'd have to pay me to get me on some stranger's camel.

I love you travel stories. And photos, of course.

Leah J. Utas said...

Good way to approach it, Laurita, although riding a camel is fun. Thanks.

Pearl said...

That's a very good system they've got going there!

Pearl

Leah J. Utas said...

Pearl, glad to see you here. It's smart to stick with what works.

messymimi said...

It does not matter where in the world you go, someone will be trying to part you from your hard earned cash.

Wonder if camel rides are anything like elephant rides?

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Messymimi. I wonder, too. Must ride an elephant one day to find out.

Reb said...

I'm not so sure I would sit on a random camel either. Prearranged through a tour - yes, sure - otherwise, um, no, but, thanks.

Leah J. Utas said...

Any camel ride I've been on was arranged and/or set up by the tour guide. Those we can trust.
These guys? You can trust they want your money.

David Cranmer said...

What an awful scam but I gotta appreciate the ingenuity.

Hilary said...

I think it would be cool to ride a camel.

That scam sounds like one my neighbour told us about when they came back from New Orleans. The challenge was "I'll bet you $25 that I can tell you exactly where you got those shoes." Tourists do engage them, and the correct answer is always "On your feet."

the Bag Lady said...

Nothing is ever free..... but that is a clever scam!

Leah J. Utas said...

David, that's thinking for you.

Hilary, it is. Thanks for the scam tip.
Bag Lady, it is clever.