Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Leaving A Mark

We made a road trip to Jasper the other day. I was looking for pictures.
My intentions were to photograph bluebirds along the Kootenay Plains and goats along the Jasper-Banff Highway The bluebirds were most accommodating while the goats had other plans.
We saw other creatures as well, but what struck me was the human creatures. We need to leave a mark along our trails. So many of us are compelled to say were here, we exist, this is what we think.
We do it in our own way, but one of the more common ways is bathroom graffiti. I found these samples in an outhouse near Jasper. While many chose to etch their moments in the wood, I chose to take photos of it.
I hope they had fun. I'm sure it is a wonderful memory.

It appears Jeremy and Melissa appreciated their visit to the mountains.

Heather and Jay got married in Jasper in June of '09. There's also a note about a road trip in August of '08. I wonder if they liked the visit so much they decided to get married there?

Whatever else it was, it is a memory.
Several other messages were scratched or inked on the walls. Most were about the beauty of the area.
I would prefer there not be any messages, but that's unlikely to change.
At least they are good messages from happy people who've had the opportunity to get away from their routine for a look around at the beauty of the world.
Those I am happy to see.

6 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Ahh, graffiti. Gotta love it.

Leah J. Utas said...

Yup.

messymimi said...

This graffiti i could live with.

Hope you had as good a time as all those people did.

Leah J. Utas said...

We sure did, Messymimi.

Reb said...

I suppose as we are all peeing in the same spot, it is just another way to 'mark' our territory.

Leah J. Utas said...

Good point, Reb.