Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Illuminating


Today's one of two days of the year when sunlight penetrates the inner sanctum at Abu Simbel, Egypt.

It illuminates the statues of Re- Horakhte and Amon-Re as well as Ramses II.

It's been going on for thousands of years. Seems to me when Abu Simbel was relocated up the hill a bit so it wouldn't be flooded by Lake Nasser planners were careful to make sure this illumination wasn't harmed. It got set back day, that's all.
**

In housekeeping news I've turned off that infernal word verification nonsense. Or I think I have. If it is still there, please let me know so I can do something about it.
--Thank you, the Management

10 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Way cool!
(and yes, the WV appears to be off.)

Leah J. Utas said...

Thaks, BL. And I'm glad the infernalness has been terminated.

messymimi said...

Glad for their attention to detail, and yours.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Messymimi.

Cheryl Kohan said...

That is so cool. Isn't it weird that it happens on those two days through all of the centuries? How they carved those statues into the limestone is amazing.

Red said...

the history of some of these sculptures can be very amazing. Thanks for turning off word verification. It has become a pain. I would like to know why the change was made.

solarity said...

Why those two days? I know too little about ancient Egypt (among several thousand other things) and have no time to learn.

I find with practice I'm getting better at guessing the letters in the new WV, but the words aren't any fun! The old ones so often seemed to have an uncanny relation to what one was writing about.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, the days marked Ramses birthday and coronation day, I believe.
Yes, the old WV were kind of fun. The new version is annoying.

Hilary said...

Amazing and beautiful.

Thanks for ridding your part of the interwebs of WV. I agree that the old one could be fun. This one - not so much.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary.
My pleasure.