Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Black and White Issue

 I've been honored again. Thank You.





The civic elections are coming. Next Monday voters across the province get to have their say about who runs their towns or cities, counties/municipal districts, and school boards.
I vote. I have always voted and I will continue to do so as long as I can mark an X.
For me it's a black and white issue. If you don't vote you don't get to complain about the results.


A black and white issue: no vote, no complaints
 It galls me no end that people refuse to cast a ballot. Some are lazy, others don't care, and still others invent some lame excuse about not knowing enough about the candidates or issues to make an informed choice.
You make me sick.
At least those whose excuse is apathy are honest about it. It still annoying, but they aren't hiding anything.
Here in Canada like many other free countries we're free to not vote without repercussions.
This brings up the other laughable point.
Non-voters who say they aren't casting a ballot because there's no one to vote for, ergo they claim not voting is a gesture of protest.
You sicken me almost as much as the people who hide behind ignorance.
If there were consequences, such as in Australia where voting is mandatory, then not voting is taking a stand. Here, it's an excuse for being lazy or apathetic.
I honestly don't care about school board. I have no hamster on that wheel. But I will still vote because it is my duty, because it is my right, and because they might do something with my tax money that I don't like and I will want to complain about it.
In some countries people risk their lives to vote.
Here, more than half of us can't be bothered.
I've wish each and every one of you apathetic excuses for citizens could spend five years in one of those countries. Maybe you'd appreciate what you've got.
On Monday move your lazy, apathetic carcasses, hold your noses, and make a mark for the candidate you believe in or the one who offends you the least.

26 comments:

Dawn said...

EXACTLY.
Well said.
I don't even have a thing to add...but bravo!

Cheryl Kohan said...

Right on, Leah!

We've got elections coming up, too, and I'm not crazy about many of the candidates but there is definitely one that is better than another. That's the person I'll vote for. Why on hearth would you risk having the worst candidate win by default??

I love your comment..."But I will still vote because it is my duty, because it is my right, and because they might do something with my tax money that I don't like and I will want to complain about it."

Great post, you spunky little thing!!

Hilary said...

Good for you. I still need to learn more about who is running for trustee and I will. I'll be there on the 25th marking my Xs

solarity said...

I never forget that when my parents were born, their mothers could not vote. After 1920, my grandmothers voted in every election, no matter how minor. (So did my grandfathers, of course.)

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Dawn.

CherylK, I feel quite strongly about this. Thanks.

Hilary, glad to hear it.

Mary Anne, it really hasn't been that long since women got the vote. I think women today don't realize it.

Reb said...

Hear! Hear! I have to get off my butt and figure out who is running in my city and which will be the least offensive, but vote I will!

Leah J. Utas said...

Good on ya, Reb. The mayoral race there is kind of interesting.

Ron Scheer said...

As long as outsiders and foreign governments aren't financing ALL the candidates on the ticket, there's still someone to vote for. Tell 'em that.

David Cranmer said...

I will always vote. To many folks gave their lives so I can.

Laurita said...

In my family, if you don't vote you might as well go rob a bank or something too. Both will get the same reaction.

Women especially fought so hard to win the right to vote. Why wouldn't you exercise that right?

Go, you!

Tabor said...

Our local and national elections are in November and I so agree that no vote is the same as casting a vote! You cannot complain if you didn't vote. I did not know it was required in Australia. I wonder if the results of their elections are different because of that?

Leah J. Utas said...

Good point, Ron.

David, that's it. It's like spitting on their graves to not vote.

Laurita, I like you're family's take on it.

Tabor, I'm glad you agree. I don't have much use for whiners who won't take the time to vote, but will take the time to complain.

the Bag Lady said...

I agree with you 100 percent. You cannot complain about your elected representative if you didn't take the time to vote!

Leah J. Utas said...

Yup. And thanks.

messymimi said...

May I borrow your speech for when we have our elections in November?

I have only missed voting on one occasion since I turned 18, and that was because I ended up in the hospital on election day.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, I'd be honored. Help yourself.

Nancy said...

Bravo! Could we put you on television here in the States??

Leah J. Utas said...

Nancy, thanks. My opinions would be a bit much for the sensitive viewer.

Hilary said...

BRAVO~!!!!!
Perfectly said.
I totally agree........we are so complacent about our freedom....until someone threatens it.

Steve Gravano said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

the Bag Lady said...

Congratulations on POTW!

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, Steve, and Bag Lady, thanks.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! Down here, south of you, we will be having our big elections on November 2nd. My absentee ballot will be sent in at least a week before that date.

POTW indeed!

Leah J. Utas said...

kcinova, glad to know you're right on top of it.

Bimbimbie said...

Mandatory voting here in Australia means a high turn out of voters on the day to have names ticked off the register but it does not mean everyone will vote in the way politicians want them to of course.

This years election had a 7% informal votes count - an increase from 3.95% in 2007. Many voting informal did so as an act of protest because of political disenchantment with our two major parties.

Cheryl Kohan said...

Just stopping back to say "Congrats on POTW"! I'm so far behind on my blog reading but am plugging along...sooner or later I'll get them all read - ha!