Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Twofer Tuesday - Dust Bitten

I finished the second pass corrections of my vampire western the other day. My husband was away so I didn't have to stop and take care of any of that regular meal nonsense. I still ate as I've got a vague recollection of commercial pizza and some sort of accompanying dip in the fridge.
He was gone for four nights. It got progressively easier to be alone at night although I wonder as to the wisdom of fixing vampire prose before bed.
Today the husband is back and I'm letting my mind wander around on its own for a bit until it's ready to tackle the third manuscript and Mrs. Ingetuckle et al.
Meanwhile, the recently corrected manuscript is resting comfortable in a dark, soothing corner of the hard drive. It needs its time alone.

Here's a bit from Biting the Dust:
"A woman's scream shattered his thoughts. The hard laugh that followed it excited him."

Yesterday I finally cracked the cover on All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (this edition Ballantine Books 1982).

"What's more important still is the issue of a double ration of smokes. Ten cigars, twenty cigarettes, and two quids of chew per man; now that is decent."

Thanks for stopping by.

For more, or to be part of the excitement, please see the Women of Mystery.

8 comments:

carla said...

I havent read All Quiet...since it was assigned in school.

I think I, too, am ready for a reread!

the Bag Lady said...

I'm not sure I have ever read All Quiet..... might have to look for it.

Glad to hear hubby is home - enjoy some time off from the vampires!

Writing Without Periods! said...

I have never read All Quiet...and I'm an English major. Wasn't it a movie? If they have cliff notes on it I would certainly read those.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, it's a movie. Starred Alan Ladd, I believe.
So far it's a good read.

Frank Baron said...

Leah, I hope the completed ms is also on a cd somewhere and maybe also printed out. Can't have too many backups. (Well, maybe you can - but two isn't too many.)

Read All Quiet when I was a teen. I found it powerful then. Suspect I still might.

Leah J. Utas said...

It will be soon, Frank. I've got a hard copy with the corrections in ink on it, but that's all at this moment. You are right about back ups.

messymimi said...

I agree about vampire prose before bed.

When we finally get to read your whole work, I'll have to be sure to not save it for my evening nightcap.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, thanks. I'm looking forward to that day, whenever it may come. Good to know I can count on one sale.