Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Twofer Tuesday and Tomatoes

Another week has slipped by. I meant to get more done than I did, but I still got things done. I even wrote some and read a bit, but mostly I played with tomatoes.

My FIL grows some of the finest and he has plenty to share. This meant dusting off some favorite tomato salad recipes and firing them up once more. Tomato season is one the happiest times of the year.

In honor of that my two sentences are from Please To The Table: The Russian Cookbook by Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, Workman Publishing, 1990.


“In a small bowl combine the vinegar and the garlic and let stand for 30 minutes.
Place the tomatoes and onion in a salad bowl and sprinkle with the vinegar and garlic mixture.”

My contribution to the cause this week is from A Fly on the Wall. In this scene Dr. Phlebos has just told Brelyan and his friend Nick how she had to kill a Kodiak bear when she was out on an expedition alone:

“Hated to do it, but it was him or me. Anyway, that’s my reminder to be more careful when I’m on professional expeditions.”
“And not personal ones?”
“Oh, dear no. If I’m on personal travel I’m someone else’s problem.”


For more, or to find out how to participate, please see the Women of Mystery.

13 comments:

Hilary said...

You've got me drooling for tomatoes now.. slurp!

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, the ones I have are almost too good.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I'm so frustrated...our tomatoes got drowned this year and each plant produced about one tomato. Grrrr.

Reb said...

Not big on tomatoes, but love your sentences.

Leah J. Utas said...

Not big on tomatoes!!What kind of a fiend are you?!:)
Thanks. Glad you like my efforts.

the Bag Lady said...

My tomatoes haven't even bloomed yet! I might have to go garden raiding!!!
Great sentences - now I'm hungry, and I'm even more eager to read your book!

Leah J. Utas said...

If you stole down in the night and ran off with some of Herb's tomatoes he'd probably be grateful.
Glad you like the effort.

Barbara Martin said...

Leah, I love your sense of humour in your lines. Perfect.

As for summer tomatoes, great soul food.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Barbara. You're absolutely right about the tomatoes.

Clare2e said...

Summer Tomato Salad with no personal responsibility! That's my idea of heaven.

Leah J. Utas said...

Clare2e, it is hard to beat.

Nancy said...

Yay for tomatoes!! Love this season.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, me too Nancy. Fresh tomatoes are the best.