Monday, January 12, 2009

Gratitude Monday - Snow Eater


The weather has changed. This makes me happy.

Much as I love normal winter weather-- and its unspoken promise of yielding normal summer weather--I love a good Chinook as much as anyone.

We had one on the weekend. It warmed enough on Saturday for me to go out for walkies and stayed warm enough on Sunday to do it again.

The ferocious wind kicked in later on yesterday afternoon and knocked chunks of snow off the roof and surrounding trees. At one point it sounded like the house itself was crumbling down. It was just the snow-eater, but for all its sound and fury it didn't eat much.


10 comments:

Penny said...

And now I know what a Chinook is! Glad you got to go out for your stroll.

TA x

the Bag Lady said...

The snow-eater didn't eat much around here this time, either.... must have been full from further south!

Maybe next time....

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Tokaiangel. It was good to get out and about.

dfBag Lady, let's hope so.

Missicat said...

A "snow-eater", huh? Never experienced one but I think it would be interesting - as long as I was safe inside somewhere!

Reb said...

We got a bit of it, but not enough. That is one thing I miss about living here, we don't get Chinooks nearly as often or as strong as in G.P., or in Rocky.

Leah J. Utas said...

Missicat, they are interesting. The temps can go from -20C to +10C in a few hours and the wind howls like a heartbroken wolf at times.

I've gotten so used to them now, Reb, that I'm not sure I could truly adjust to life without them.

Missicat said...

Am I the only one who knows about the Chinook from reading the LIttle House on the Prairie books???

Leah J. Utas said...

I read two of the Little House books ( and it was only two years ago!)but I can't recall chinooks in them. Must be in the later books.

Hilary said...

Your earlier cold weather is due to arrive here tomorrow. Please see what you can do about tacking that Chinook onto the end of it. Thank you.

Leah J. Utas said...

I get right to it, Hilary.