Monday, March 24, 2008

Gratitude Monday – Patient Pets and Good Memories





Our dog Pal, who the always entertaining Bag Lady wrote about in this post was as patient and long-suffering as a dog could be.
In summer I’d use him as a pillow whenever I wanted a nap in the sun. He was my pretend horse sometimes, too, and would let me ride him for a few feet anyway. And when my sister and I were very young we tried to see if he’d be a good sled dog.
If memory serves it didn’t go over all that well with him.
Pal died just before my 12th birthday. He disappeared and we didn’t know what happened. I found him the following spring. He was on his way to the creek and had taken the shortcut through the bush.
He was an old dog then and he’d served us well. I am grateful to have had such patient, kind dog. And I have to say I’m grateful that he died out in the bush going about his normal day. I like to believe he kept on running.

11 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - this was a lovely tribute to Pal! He was such a great dog...if memory serves, he was older than I was, which means he was at least 13 or 14 when he died, maybe more.
Thanks for the memories, and thanks, too, for the shout-out!

Leah J. Utas said...

dfBag Lady - I have no idea how old a fellow Pal was, but he was a scholar and a gentledog.
And you're welcome.

Reb said...

I was very sad when we came to visit and he wasn't there to greet us. He was a great dog and you did a great post Leah. Yeah, I thinking he just kept on running too.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Dogs are interesting creatures. A bad one is a nuisance and a menace, but a good one is the best friend ever.

Thanks for sharing about your good friend! :-)

Leah J. Utas said...

He was the best, Reb.

Leah J. Utas said...

It was my pleasure to write about Pal, Bunnygirl. A good dog really is a best friend forever.
Glad you liked the post.

Hilary said...

Aww what a lovely pooch. I've never had a dog of my own.. though now I have Benny for a few days a week now. I tend to lean toward cats.. and lately, raccoons tend to lean toward me! :]

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, how lucky (!) you are to have the raccoons chose you. I read about your adventure. Wild. In so many senses of the word.

Leah J. Utas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

A good dog lives forever, Leah. He'll be out there somewhere - still running.

I'm wiping at tears as I type this, thinking back on good dogs I have known. Thanks for the memory.

Leah J. Utas said...

You're welcome, Dawn. I know those are good tears.