Monday, November 5, 2007

Gratitude Monday – Baking Day

We had our first snowfall yesterday. It didn’t amount to much, but it reminded me that I have a roof over my head. Not everyone does. Edmonton has a significant homeless population and shelters are filled to capacity.

My husband shoveled the snow. Much of it melted, but this prevents ice buildup in the driveway and behind the garage. This is very thoughtful.

The weather meant it was a good baking day. It gave me a chance to make my first pecan pie. I’d looked up a simple cookie recipe so I could use it as a stepping point for making peanut butter-chocolate chip-Irish Whiskey cookies, and found the pecan tart recipe a few pages later.
I substituted maple syrup for corn syrup and a coconut lard-Tahini hybrid for butter in the pie. Inventing is fun and the pie turned out okay.

I’m grateful that I can reason out substitutes for dairy products and I’m even more grateful that they commonly work out.

I used Polish Wheat flour (a.k.a. Kamut) in the cookies and I had the sense to sift it first. It’s smoother this way.
I had to sift the Spelt flour for the piecrust. Some might find that annoying. Spelt is in the wheat family and I’m grateful that I can use this flour. Sifting takes only a few minutes.

So here it is Monday again. I’m in a warm home and I live a life where if I feel like taking a baking day I do so.

5 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

The Bag Lady is jealous of your baking day! But she is grateful she will be able to eat something later today.
She is also grateful that it did NOT snow here. She has to travel to town today, and the roads are dry.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I love these Monday reminders! I'm in a warm house with the Lobster and the Moo, and have a busy week ahead with lots of things to look forward to, and I'm in good health and have a ton of other things to be thankful for.

(Also, since my blog is dedicated to being Cranky, it's nice to come here and admit I'm really a happy, lucky person! But shhhh...)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Not much is going on in my life right now, but even a bit of boredom can be something to be grateful for. It sure beats drama, needless or otherwise!

Reb said...

I am very grateful not to be one of the many homeless here in the city. Those cookies sound good! Pecan pie - mmmmm love it.

Leah J. Utas said...

dfBag Lady - I'm glad it didn't snow. Now that your procedure is over you can have your own baking day.

Crabby - Your secret happiness is safe with me. I won't let on.

Bunnygirl- You know life is interesting when you can be grateful for boredom.

Reb - Home is good. The cookies are pretty good. It's amazing what a Wee Sip will do.